Translate

Monday, January 20, 2020

Random thoughts

I do not have internet access at my home currently, so I am writing this in Apache's Open Office program at home and will copy/paste it into the Blog when I go to the local library and use their free WiFi.

Writing this now firstly, so I can test whether the formatting for the Blog will be overridden by the formatting in the Open Office, as I've not done this before; and secondly, because I have not posted anything in a very long time, so I thought I'd just write random stuff – just start typing and see what comes out.

After looking at how rarely I post to the Blog one would question why have a blog in the first place...what is the point or purpose of it if I rarely write anything? Or more importantly, why have it if no-one ever reads anything here? From time to time I will send a link to one of my Blog posts to a relative, asking him to give me feedback regarding formatting changes I may have made. Other than his visits, which resulted from me sending a link and asking him to review it, I am pretty sure no-one ever reads anything I've posted. Fairly certain that he doesn't visit/read anything here other than the times I've sent him a link and requested feedback/critique, even though he's registered as a 'follower' of the Blog. Haven't checked the list in a very long time, but last time I did all the followers are direct relatives – they 'follow' the Blog just to increase the number.

It's a mind-set of people who're addicted to 'social media', in that they are obsessed with the counts of likes, followers and shares of things thrown out on/in social media. I believe that the majority of people nowadays rush from one posting to another and click the like or follow button without giving the content anything more than a very brief glance before rushing on to the next one, like a pack of mindless lemmings. If asked why, they would for the most part, answer that they are 'supporting' the content creator – in their mind they are helping that person by increasing their follower count and/or increasing the number of likes the content has...oh look the picture I posted has more likes than yours, so obviously I must be better than you. Is there a virtual star to be given based on these numbers?

People will do what they will, and me expressing an opinion of it here means absolutely nothing. As I said, I do not believe anyone ever reads any of this – but even if they did, why would my opinion about anything matter to them.

So again, why bother having a Blog...no one reads it, and I go for extremely long lengths of time without posting anything at all. Perhaps it is akin to someone playing solitaire with a deck of cards with one card missing, and they are aware the card is missing but play anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which I feel are Spam, personal attacks, offensive and/or anything else I don't approve of will be deleted. It's good to be King...LOL