Translate

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Febreze in the Swamp Cooler Water

I bought a refill bottle of FEBREZE Extra Strength Fabric Refresher, non-aerosol, today to try it in the swamp cooler.  The hope was I'd be able to put a small amount in the water in the bottom of the swamp cooler and it would continuously blow into the house when the cooler is running.

The refill bottle is 67.6 oz., for $7.97 at Walmart.  I thought that it might turn out to be too strong of a smell, by constantly blowing in from the cooler, so I used 1/4-cup which I added to the water reservoir.  I can always add a little more if it turns out too weak, but I'd rather use too little than have it so strong it makes one's eyes water, etc.  I've never measured the amount of water in the pan of the cooler, but it looks to be around 5 to 7 gallons of water.


So, after about 2 hours of use, I'm thinking 1/4-cup is just about right.  Took the dog for his morning walk about 15 minutes after adding the Febreze to the cooler, and was gone about an hour.  When we returned I could smell the Febreze when we came in, but it was not an overpowering smell.


I do not know how long it will last in the cooler...the water evaporates and is replaced by fresh automatically, but I'm hoping it won't be flushed out within the same day.  My thinking is that as the water evaporates it leaves behind anything carried in suspension in the water, so the Febreze should remain, at least for awhile.  I'll update later, after it has been in there a few days, and I know how often I need to add a little more.  Probably too much to hope for, to hope it will last the better part of a week before needing to add more...that would be nice as it would mean that 67+oz. bottle will last for a good while.


So, after just a few hours of use, I can say it was a good idea, and I recommend doing this if you have a swamp cooler, and want to have continuous "air-freshener" coming in from the cooler. The store (Walmart) where I bought this 67.6 oz. bottle had only the "Extra Strength, Original Scent" in this size bottle.  They had 6 or 8 other flavors, in smaller non-aerosol pump bottles, but the cost per ounce on those was quite a bit higher than this big refill size.  But for someone who might want a variety, those bottles can be opened (think windex-type bottle) and the contents could be added to the swamp cooler (1/4-cup at a time, adjust the amount to your liking).


I'm going to go smell my air now, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which I feel are Spam, personal attacks, offensive and/or anything else I don't approve of will be deleted. It's good to be King...LOL